• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

5 HTP and St. Johns Wort

forums1969

Bluelighter
Hello I was going to see if anyone has used 5 HTP and St. Johns Wort together at the same time? I recently OD on a substance and physical I am fine, but mentally I suffer from depression, depersonalization and anxiety. I don't want to take any anti depressant as I feel they would cause more harm than good. Also I am going to get 5 HTP in all natural form because I feel that it would be better for my body. I know everyone’s body works different on certain medication, but I was just wondering if anyone has taken 5 HTP and or St John’s Wort and noticed an improvement in their mood.

Are you against using benzos or someting?

I don't know a lot about benzos, but I am really trying to stick to all natural pills things found in nature. Any info you have would be appreciated also do you know of any way you can possibly reset your brain/receptors. I just haven't felt the same since I OD and its slowing killing me.

how about phenibut? Though it's not something you'd want to use every.

i'm gonna shift this over to healthy living forum.

mods move back if it doesn't fit:)

I OD on synthetic marijuana called "Cloud Ten" it was a prepackaged blend so I don't know what was exactly in it. Though I only did a little of it I really had a bad trip which was my first time have I have ever experienced a trip. A lot of my problems are psychological, but I now get a lot headaches which I never used to get. So right now what I want to do are things that will help with my mood and take depression/depersonalization away.

seriously this synthetic marjiuana shit is really ripping people up mentally.sad to hear it got to you too.
i had really really severe depersonalization and it did take time to get better, altho i did suffer depersonalization with anxiety.
i took SSRI (zoloft/sertraline) which did help, but most people have there reasons for excluding SSRI's in there considerations. and also just cause the zoloft helped me unfortunately there is no guarentee it may help you :(

definately avoid the combination of 5htp and st johns wort, i hear in large doses can cause serious interaction ( i have no further knowledge ) just heard. if i had to take either for your symptoms id probably stick with 5htp 50mg twice a day with a nice healthy diet!

St Johns Wort can affect the metabolism of many drugs, but I doubt its potent enough to cause problems with 5HTP.

Maybe you should try a combination of a liquid supplement Shou Wu Chi, with Rhodiola Rosea, B-vitamins and a calcium-magnesium supplement.

No promises, but it might benefit you.

well.. synth. cannabioids are much more effecting on the receptors and the CB1R one drives the serotonin discharge.

@forums1969

try to avoid mood enhancing substances as long the depression, depersonalization and anxiety continues ... or your brain will acclimatize being dependent of serotonin adding substances instead starting to normalize the production (persistent damage is more than unlikely)
other option could be the use of mood enhancers and then starting to lower the dose to zero.

I d advise a proper medication guided from a doctor, but thats your own decision.

The one thing that is concerning me the most is that it has been two months since I OD on it and though I feel better I am not at %100. When I smoked it I was not depressed at all, but it has brought out something in me that I don't know how to manage. When I am at home I feel fine, but when I go to a public place I feel detached like I'm watching my life through a movie screen. Also I get enough sleep 7- 9 hours, but I never feel fully rested like I used to which I am thinking is from the depression. I also notice a lot more eye floaters when looking at a white of blue background which I have read that other people suffered from. How long does it take for the brain to go back to normal or to get normal levels or serotonin? I cannot wait for the day when I get all my energy and my mental state back since I felt like I could handle anything that I could take on the world, but now everyday is a struggle.

Last edited:
listen RIGHT NOW. Stop, stop what your doing. I know EXACTLY what you did today. You went on this forum, panicing, thinking about your DP. You looked into the internet all of the symptoms, if there is a medicine for it, do you recover, how long does it take. You keep wondering if your going to ever come back, youve been asking people for reassurance that you will be okay.

How do I know this? Cause I have it and i did the EXACT same thing for so long, i feel like such a fool to let it ruin my life for such a long time. Anxiety is something you create yourself. You create this fear, you keep it flowing by thinking about it in a constant loop, you keep thinking and thinking about it. You dont stop cause you keep worrying. YOU FUEL your anxiety. ]

Your NOT going to die from this. YOU WILL RECOVER. STOP LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR ANSWERS. STOP SEARCHING THE INTERNET ABOUT DP. STOP AKNOWLEDING YOU HAVE DP. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. DISTRACT YOURSELF EVERYTIME YOU THINK OF IT.

Kanyeknievel has just offered some golden fucken advice - if you feel as though you do need a little more oomph to your process of recovery, ive heard l-theanine works wonders

L-Theanine is good stuff. Its found in green tea, abundantly. A green tea extract would also have it, but why bother when the tea itself is good? I love high quality (not bitter when you steep it strong) green tea.

Green tea mixed with bulk Rhodiola could be a good medicine. Rhodiola increases serotonin and increases oxygen efficiency in the body and brain. Green tea gives you a mild buzz, less caffeine than sugar, but unlike coffee has L-theanine which reduces anxiety and may help depression.

When I mix both of the above with Fo-Ti, I feel absolutely euphoric, like low dose morphine euphoric....no comedown, because its healthy.

L-Theanine is good stuff. Its found in green tea, abundantly. A green tea extract would also have it, but why bother when the tea itself is good? I love high quality (not bitter when you steep it strong) green tea.

Green tea mixed with bulk Rhodiola could be a good medicine. Rhodiola increases serotonin and increases oxygen efficiency in the body and brain. Green tea gives you a mild buzz, less caffeine than sugar, but unlike coffee has L-theanine which reduces anxiety and may help depression.

When I mix both of the above with Fo-Ti, I feel absolutely euphoric, like low dose morphine euphoric....no comedown, because its healthy.

That sounds quite interesting, mind elaborting on what you do exactly, brands and what not that you buy?

I try to get some organic green tea, usually gunpowder or sencha....green tea is a magnet for fluoride and heavy metals due to a chelating effect that could also rob you of iron if you dont take supplements....Which is why I always buy organic, especially if its from China....Japanese mountain/cloud varities that are shade grown tend to be the best....you actually get a hefty dose of xanthines and can get a buzz, while the cheap stuff tastes like the aluminum from staples if you brew it too long.....Im a tea snob, but buying bulk and using a glass teapot cuts down on my expense.

I go to Mountain Rose herbs.....is that sourcing? This stuff is legal like food. Its like saying you got something on ebay...edit if you must.

I buy the Rhodiola Rosea by the pound. I throw a small handful of Rhodiola and a small handful of green tea and make a big pot of tea. Its good together. You can add cream or soymilk and sugar.

Fo ti is better extracted since its not that tastey on its own, but you can get extract in pill form OR you can get a traditional Chinese remedy that has it called Shou Wu Chi...spelling can vary. Get the alcohol extract because its stronger and pour it into your tea.

If you add some Blue lotus/lilly to the tea you get a mild but very pleasant feeling when you mix them all.....its nowhere near as intense as morphine, but its the same kind of euphoria and 'cold tingles' only more mild and airy.....subtle, so dont compare it to the rush of real drugs, but it gives you a sense of well being if you get the ratio just right.

Its not just the DP and anxiety, I feel like I have done something to my brain. I never used to get headaches at all now everyday I get these head pains/pressure which never goes away even with medication and water. Also I now have slight hand tremors and I feel like memory is gone almost like I'm starting to suffer from dementia or Alzheimer. Also the anxiety has gotten a lot better almost the point where I don't even think about, but these head pains and strange head sensations I get are getting to be terrible. I don't have an health insurance either so i cant just go the doctors. I feel like there is something else going on with my body beside DP and anxiety, but i don't know what it is. I really want this to get better and I want to feel like I used to because things in my life were just starting to get really good for me. I don't want to die, but I cant live the rest of my life feeling this way. I would feel so much better if I OD on something that is well known and not this substance since its so new. Also thank you for all the suggestion from everyone I will definitely look into some of these things. I am also worried about psychosis or drug induced psychosis because I now see eye floaters all the time and sometimes I think I see lights flash. If I have drug induced psychosis can it be cured and if I don't treat it will it get worse? Another question is can the body have stress without you knowing it like my brain is sending the wrong signals telling me the body is in pain? I try to not think about so much, but with the way I have felt for the last two months its very hard. I just hold out on hope that I will get better and try and live a more healthy/better life.

Last edited:
Its not just the DP and anxiety, I feel like I have done something to my brain. I never used to get headaches at all now everyday I get these head pains/pressure which never goes away even with medication and water. Also I now have slight hand tremors and I feel like memory is gone almost like I'm starting to suffer from dementia or Alzheimer. Also the anxiety has gotten a lot better almost the point where I don't even think about, but these head pains and strange head sensations I get are getting to be terrible. I don't have an health insurance either so i cant just go the doctors. I feel like there is something else going on with my body beside DP and anxiety, but i don't know what it is. I really want this to get better and I want to feel like I used to because things in my life were just starting to get really good for me. I don't want to die, but I cant live the rest of my life feeling this way. I would feel so much better if I OD on something that is well known and not this substance since its so new. Also thank you for all the suggestion from everyone I will definitely look into some of these things. I am also worried about psychosis or drug induced psychosis because I now see eye floaters all the time and sometimes I think I see lights flash. If I have drug induced psychosis can it be cured and if I don't treat it will it get worse? Another question is can the body have stress without you knowing it like my brain is sending the wrong signals telling me the body is in pain? I try to not think about so much, but with the way I have felt for the last two months its very hard. I just hold out on hope that I will get better and try and live a more healthy/better life.

Seriously bro, your worrying WAY too much. Your not going to be living like this the rest of your life. why do you keep saying that? And even it was possible you had it for the rest of your life why are you letting it bother you so much that you cant enjoy living? Your not going to get out of it anytime soon if you keep the attitude that you have now, its just gonna take longer and longer. Seriously, why would you rather not live, than live even if you feel out of body? Your still you in every way, your just not letting yourself enjoy anything because your constantly worrying about something that isnt going to kill you, or cause you to become phsycotic. THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people have it and get it every year, and they all get through it eventually.

Its all about a matter of letting go, just living. The more you make yourself suffer, and worry so much the longer its going to be. Just live man. Live.

ANd that pressure, feeling in your head i have as well. It isnt chronic but it comes randomly and it sucks but its nothing to get yourself down about.

Seriously, you have one non life threating disorder than will go away and your just giving up hope? Come on bro, dont be so pathetic. Sorry but I gotta be straight forward with you. Your complaining about living dissociative when there are people who are blind, people who are death, people who are severely depressed. people who are actually psycotic, people who are poor, people who have no food or water. People whose live just suck from no family, abusive families, drunk or alcoholic familes and your complaining about this? Im sure so many people would rather trade their problem I listed above for a problem that isn't forever and will go away.

There's a good chance that your headaches and hand tremors are due to your anxiety. The human mind is very powerful and can often make you feel strange sensations and pains where there are none. Everyone sees floaters and has DP from time to time. Lights sometimes do flash. Usually your mind just ignores them, but you're so anxious that you're picking all these things out and freaking out over them. You're memory isn't too good because your mind is focused on the stress/anxiety instead of what you normally think about.

I went through all this too and thought I was going crazy. You're perfectly healthy, you're not psychotic. Just relax and the symptoms will go away over time. Go for a run, get some exercise, meditate. You'll be ok.